Monday, March 9, 2009

Mathematical Model and the Mortgage Mess - NYTimes.com

Mathematical Model and the Mortgage Mess - NYTimes.com

Yes, BICs 4 Derivatives Volume I : Theory chapter IX pp 203-232, showed that this was faulty and proposed the coherent alternative. When will you wake up people? when?
I cry a river over this. I cry a river over this....

As I have described at length in other writings(See this or this ), this crisis was a failure of the existing mathematical modeling framework at describing the real world dynamics of underlyings. Therefore the corresponding hedging and risk management strategies failed to represent reality and this fact becomes most obvious at times of crisis. One of the reasons for this development is the over-representation of former physicist at the highest levels of "quantdom" who have forced the adoption of a framework coming from another world. But "It ain't physics". It just ain't.
And I cry a river over this. I just cry a river over this....

No comments: